Written by Denise Civiletti
River and Roots Community Garden's purpose is to promote, create, and sustain community gardening in downtown Riverhead, NY.
We encourage community involvement in the betterment of the community while growing fruits, vegetables, and flowers, and to share the joys of gardening.
According to the American Community Gardening Association, a community garden is any piece of land gardened by a group of people.
It can be urban, suburban, or rural. It can grow flowers, vegetables or community. It can be one community plot, or can be many individual plots. It can be at a school, hospital, or in a neighborhood. It can also be a series of plots dedicated to "urban agriculture" where the produce is grown for a market.
Benefits of Community Gardens:
- Improves the quality of life for people in the garden
- Provides a catalyst for neighborhood and community development
- Stimulates Social Interaction
- Encourages Self-Reliance
- Beautifies Neighborhoods
- Produces Nutritious Food
- Reduces Family Food Budgets
- Conserves Resources
- Creates opportunity for recreation, exercise, therapy, and education
- Reduces Crime
- Preserves Green Space
- Creates income opportunities and economic development
- Reduces city heat from streets and parking lots
- Provides opportunities for intergenerational and cross-cultural connections
River and Roots Community Garden is on West Main Street at the end of Griffing Avenue and along the beautiful Peconic River.